Stud Partition: acceptable foundation depth.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm 'doing up' a summerhouse in our garden and have a couple of questions.

Been told by a building control officer that we will require additional piers to support the underneath of the structure. He has asked for them to be 450 x 450.

Firstly (and I know I'm going off topic a bit). What would be an acceptable depth of foundation for these?

Also, we are adding a stud partition 'extension' to the summerhouse. This will be stud on top of a layer of brickwork. What would be the standard dimensions of depth for a strip foundation of 3m with stud on top, and what height of wall should the stud sit on?

I'm asking this of all of you experts so I can get cracking with a mini digger. It is a chalky soil by the way.

Many thanks in advance,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Is the summerhouse plus extension that large that you actually need to go with Building Regulations?

Studwork don't need foundations unless it's structural. If it's structural then foundations will be exactly the same depth as required for any extension ie 1m deep and more if certain trees are near.

Same for piers.

Sponsored Links
As Woody said.
We are just going through planning permission for a single extension with 3-4 partition walls and was advised to do them as studded walls otherwise everyone would need full depth footings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back