Advice re foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking to build a garden office this year and whilst most garden office suppliers provide their own foundations I don't think they will be adequate as we have clay soil.

A soil investigation showed that: "there is initially soft to firm silty clay over stiff to very stiff clay at a depth of 4.8m and live roots to a depth of 3m. Vegetation had dried to a depth over 4m and it's considered that dryness extends to a depth approaching 5m. Clay subsoils dessicated to 5m."

I know it's a bit overkill to pile but there will be plumbing (toilet/shower/sink) in the office so I don't want any movement.

Would piles be the way to go? and what's the approximate cost for an area of 7m x 5m?

I've also been looking at Quick Base foundations which can go down to that depth.

Thanks for any advice
Sean

Sponsored Links
If you have had a proper soil test done, then you should also have someone suitable intrepret the results in the context of what you are building on it.

That ground make up is nothing special, and would not be anything to stop normal foundations.

A timber shed garden office, would need different foundations to a masonry one, and the council's building inspector will have the last word.

Hi,
Thanks for that. So first thing to do is ask the building inspector to come out? Just being cautious as the house we bought had underpinning (prior to our purchase).
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back