Foundations for a double skin brick built shed/games room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have researched about how deep foundations would need to be in relation to a brick built structure and seem to be getting very conflicting results. I plan on building a 5x5m games room at the back of the garden some 50 feet away from the house but around 5m to a well established apple tree (about 4m tall). My research has led me to believe that a 1m depth is required and 600mm width for a trench foundation strip. I live in Essex and the ground is London clay type. I plan on using light weight blocks and then waterproofing/weather proofing them. Would these estimates be correct or could I get away with a shorter depth foundation or is there an alternative foundation type that would serve my purpose and be easier on my back and wallet?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1m deep hole at 600mm wide with 250mm concrete will suffice. Check that the leaders on the roots from the tree don't have penetration capabilities at that depth. Other alternatives could be a raft or piled raft.

IMO lightweight blocks with weather proofing will be unsightly, consider cladding in timber, tiling or rendering them, this is aesthetics though as long as the blocks you use can with stand UK weather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back