Foundation depth for a brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Assuming good soil i.e. ballast type not clay, and double brick thick, what depth foundation would I need for a wall some 20m+ long upto a) 1m and b) 2m in height? Also at what distances would brick columns be needed?

Sponsored Links
What purpose does the wall serve, is it absolutely straight with no changes of direction? For a wall one brick thick (215mm) you may not need any attached piers but they would certainly aid stability and you will also need a couple of vertical expansion joints if no change of direction, so having piers at those positions would be good idea. There is no specific foundation depth required for a garden wall but depending on where you live you may want to go deeper if you get severe frosts. For garden walls the following may be useful to you
http://www.pavingexpert.com/featur03.htm

Rather than hijack this thread, I have posted a query on big brick walls

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back