How far apart brick columns for 1m height wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Could someone please advise how far apart a block/brick columns need to be for 9 inch block wall, 1m high?

Also if the soil type is ballast, how deep a foundation would I need assuming the above and also another 1m fencing above the wall?

Thx.

Sponsored Links
You don't need columns for a 1m high, 9" block wall. So if you want them for aesthetics you can put them in at whatever centres you like.
Although, if the fence is solid that will be like building a 2m high wall so then I would put min 330x330mm piers at min 2.4m centres.

Put your foundation 300mm below ground level. 150mm depth of concrete will be fine.

Last edited:
Thx. At what heights do they become necessary if we are trying to achieve a target height of 1.8m for a boundary wall/fence?

What about foundation depth?

See above - was editing...

Although, if you are in an exposed location then piers may well be necessary even for shorter heights...

Also make sure that the ends of your wall are well tied in.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thx again.

Foundation is just concrete right so you're suggesting 150mm min if don't want to go to 300mm? 600mm is an overkill right? I plan to dump a lot of dug up top soil from my garden and backfill up to about 500mm in height. Does that change any of your suggestions?

Last edited:
If you have good gravelly soil then for a 9" wall 450mm wide x 150mm depth of concrete is fine. No harm in going deeper if you so wish. You should also be putting in control joints at 6m centres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back