Summerhouse foundations inspection

It won't look quite as nice when it's clad in masterboard!!
The fireproof layer can be fitted beneath the decor facade.

Not quite. That will help compliance with Part b3 (structural fire protection) but won't meet the requirements of B4 (external fire spread) which limits the amount of combustible material on the surface of a building near a boundary.
It works fine here in Staffs.
Would you like me to scan you the spec'?

This is the spec' verbatim (inside to out) on a gable end less than 600mm from boundary...

100mm x 50mm stud gable.

9mm external ply.

6mm fire barrier i.e. 6mm particle board.

Membrane, battens, plastic cladding.

All passed and signed off April 2013. The specification was suggested by Trevor Edensor of Staffs BC. Do you want the address as well?

Sponsored Links
Have a read of Section 1 of the Building Act (the primary legislation which enables building regulations to be made).

It says that building regulations may be made by the secretary of state for the purposes of:
- securing the health, safety, welfare and convenience of people in and around buildings
- conservation of fuel and power
- preventing waste, contamination, etc of water

H&S isn't a consequence of building regulations, it is the the reason we have building regulations
So, building reg's essentially exist to make buildings safe AND efficient. That sounds more reasonable than your first sweeping statement.

Going by my hands on experience I would say there is a premium on energy conservation at the present time.

Going by my hands on experience I would say there is a premium on energy conservation at the present time.

Only because global warming is a major bandwagon; it doesn't necessarily detract from the H&S aspect

Within the context of this debate, it's less important, because we're discussing an outbuilding whose use must be ancillary and incidental to the main dwelling - its energy performance is far more irrelevant than the main dwelling, so you're perhaps labouring the wrong point

Within the context of this debate, it's less important, because we're discussing an outbuilding whose use must be ancillary and incidental to the main dwelling - its energy performance is far more irrelevant than the main dwelling, so you're perhaps labouring the wrong point
True, but I must surely have exonerated myself by providing sound information about the fireproofing thing, innit?

A large percentage of this entire forum labours toward the wrong point - get used to it. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
[/quote]It works fine here in Staffs.
Would you like me to scan you the spec'?

This is the spec' verbatim (inside to out) on a gable end less than 600mm from boundary...

100mm x 50mm stud gable.

9mm external ply.

6mm fire barrier i.e. 6mm particle board.

Membrane, battens, plastic cladding.

All passed and signed off April 2013. The specification was suggested by Trevor Edensor of Staffs BC. Do you want the address as well?[/quote]

Well that wouldn't achieve half hour fire resistance from the inside and certainly doesn't comply with the guidance for Part B4 in the approved document unless the plastic cladding is non-combustible (unlikely).

So, you either had a very good BCO who recognised that there was very low risk and took a professional view that it was acceptable, or you had a very bad BCO who either missed it or doesn't understand Part B.

No skin off my nose either way ;)

True, but I must surely have exonerated myself by providing sound information about the fireproofing thing, innit?

A large percentage of this entire forum labours toward the wrong point - get used to it. :rolleyes:

It is going a little bit off topic, but the point I was initially making was that I think the BCO is using poor judgement to insist on full foundations for a glorified shed, so if he goes over the top for the foundations, he could easily do the same for other elements of the construction.

Well, just thought I'd mention, in the interests of efficient use of energy... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back