Summerhouse foundations inspection

Sponsored Links
1) He had no choice about getting BR approval.

2) To comply with Part A he had a choice of telling them what he planned to do regarding the foundations, going through any iterations of discussions/changes etc that were needed until LABC were happy, and then doing it as agreed

OR

doing what he thought would be OK without checking first thus risking them coming along after or part-way through the event asking for changes.

I think if I were a client employing someone to build something for me I'd be a bit p****d off if he didn't know what he was doing.

I think if I were a client employing someone to build something for me I'd be a bit p****d off if I found out he was on a DIY forum asking what to do! :LOL:

plus_one.gif

Sponsored Links
:(
It's stuff like that that give building control a bad name.

Building regulations essentially exist to maintain the health and safety of people in and around buildings. If the summerhouse moved around because of inadequate foundations, it's unlikely to endanger anyone.

Part A of the building regulations requires the building to be constructed so that the loads from the building to be safely transmitted to the ground, and that stability is not impaired due to ground movement.

Like Tony said, it is a very lightweight structure and will tolerate a huge amount of movement. It would only ever be a danger to health and safety if a sink hole suddenly gave way underneath it, but that would trouble most buildings!!

On the flip side, it is a bit daft to call building control out and then ignore their instructions :oops:

Out of interest, have building control mentioned Part B (Fire Safety)?

As that's the main reason why the building isn't exempt, and also on current form, it wouldn't surprise me if BCO asked for fire protection to the walls within 1m of the boundary. It won't look quite as nice when it's clad in masterboard!!

Good luck!

Have a read of Section 1 of the Building Act (the primary legislation which enables building regulations to be made).

It says that building regulations may be made by the secretary of state for the purposes of:
- securing the health, safety, welfare and convenience of people in and around buildings
- conservation of fuel and power
- preventing waste, contamination, etc of water

H&S isn't a consequence of building regulations, it is the the reason we have building regulations

It won't look quite as nice when it's clad in masterboard!!
The fireproof layer can be fitted beneath the decor facade.

Not quite. That will help compliance with Part B3 (structural fire protection) but won't meet the requirements of B4 (external fire spread) which limits the amount of combustible material on the surface of a building near a boundary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back