Selling House, Building Control Not Signed Off - Help!

Sure, the council could apply for an injunction, but the onus would be on them to prove that it is structurally unsound
and they're not going to risk the costs of loosing.
Yes yes yes but the point I was making was that some works is never 100% immune.

Sponsored Links
Yes, understand what you're saying freddiemercurystwin - hoping that building inspector sees that our build is fine! This is all so stressful. I've discovered that a private firm can't come in at this late stage and sign off either, so I'm stuck with trying to make this work out with the council. Also can't get an indemnity as building control have seen it. Just hoping the photographs show all he needs to see.

Yes, understand what you're saying freddiemercurystwin - hoping that building inspector sees that our build is fine! This is all so stressful. I've discovered that a private firm can't come in at this late stage and sign off either, so I'm stuck with trying to make this work out with the council. Also can't get an indemnity as building control have seen it. Just hoping the photographs show all he needs to see.

That's all you can do really, if the photos don't show the necessary you might have to put it to your buyer - if your buyer insists on the BC sign off then they will have to understand that you may need to open up some of the wall etc to show the inspector and the subsequent repair might not be flawless although you will undertake reasonable endeavours to make good...

...but you may find it's a condition of the mortgage company that it's either signed off or an indemnity is in place so the buyer may have no choice.

...but you may find it's a condition of the mortgage company that it's either signed off or an indemnity is in place so the buyer may have no choice.
I would be inclined to pursue it with BC now, if the photos are inadequate a view can be taken as to whether the disruption is worth it or not now. You have already paid the BC fee so it will cost nothing (except a little time) to pursue it for now and see what pans out ......

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chud and freddiemercurystwin - this is what I'll need to do I think. Just hoping that it all pans out OK - the building inspector we're dealing with is - how can I put this? - the type to specifically look for faults. I've studied the pictures at length and they all look fine, and show the connections, the bricking in of the steels, the depth of the foundations. And we have structural engineer calculations and approved plans. Hoping he can see we did everything properly ( or why would we have engaged him in the first place???! ) Fingers crossed.

Sounds like you need to take this to the BC manager if you get no joy from your inspector, it would appear to me that you have done as much as possible to appease him. Your provision of photos should be enough and sound detailed. As noted in previous reply's you have paid for a service, remember you are a customer, expect to be treated as such.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back