Summerhouse Roof Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening All,

I had the foundations poured and am ready to get the bricks laid on my summerhouse build. Its just a basic rectangle shape about 3m by 4.5m. Its being built with a cavity, facing bricks on the outside and thermalites on the inside. This is being built under PD so I cannot go above 2.4m with the total height. I am torn between having a slate slope roof or going for a fibreglass roof, anyone with more experience have an opinion on what's best?

Which would give me the most height internally, and which is easiest to construct? Knowing that I cannot go above 2.4m high, would you have a set of patio doors made up to 1800mm high as oppose to the usual 2010mm.

I am anticipating having 3 courses of engineering bricks above ground, which would be a total of about 220mm give or take, then if you add 2010 for the patio doors only leaves me a total of 170mm to sort some form of roof out.

Any opinions greatly received, sorry if the above doesn't make much sense :)

Sponsored Links
PD specifies 2.5 m as the eaves height. This means that if you have a pitched roof, the overall height can be as much as 4m.

But if you want to keep it simple, EPDM flat roof, constructed as a cold roof, ie insulation between rafters would give you the lowest overall height but highest interior ceiling.

You can also set the building lower in the ground, though it sounds like it's a bit late for that.

PD specifies 2.5 m as the eaves height. This means that if you have a pitched roof, the overall height can be as much as 4m.

But if you want to keep it simple, EPDM flat roof, constructed as a cold roof, ie insulation between rafters would give you the lowest overall height but highest interior ceiling.

You can also set the building lower in the ground, though it sounds like it's a bit late for that.

I am building within 1 metre of a boundary, so my maximum height allowance is less unfortunately.

In that case, go for the flat roof method.

Appropriately sized joists, firrings to achieve a fall on the roof (but maintain level ceiling indoors), 18mm OSB on top, sheet of EPDM on top of that.

Then fit 100mm PIR insulation between the joists from underneath (leaving space above the insulation for ventilation), VCL, plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
In that case, go for the flat roof method.

Appropriately sized joists, firrings to achieve a fall on the roof (but maintain level ceiling indoors), 18mm OSB on top, sheet of EPDM on top of that.

Then fit 100mm PIR insulation between the joists from underneath (leaving space above the insulation for ventilation), VCL, plasterboard.

Thanks for your help, would you then get the brick layer to lay the walls all level, then sort the fall out myself doing what you have described?

for PD nowadays it's 2.5 from the highest surrounding original ground level if you're within 2m of a boundary. This means you can always dig down for extra height. If it's not really going to cause an issue and your neighbours won't really be affected, even if you go over the council probably wouldn't worry too much. For example if they have a 3m high garage on the boundary already you could match it more easily, but if it's blocking out the sun on their patio then there's less chance. But the only way to be sure is to apply for planning permission and wait for a couple of months for an answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back