Sun Room False Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Very long time lurker, great site with loads of helpful people.

Basically, I'm looking at insulating and putting a false ceiling into our current sun room. The room was created by putting a lean to up between the side of the house and the garage. New concrete floor and pvc roof etc.(see pic). This was all done by the previous owner and has remained watertight and useful for the time we've had the house (8 Years).

Covid-19 has forced me to start to use this room daily as my home office but it's stifling hot ATM with the weather we're having and cold in the winter (typical conservatory affair).

My idea is to put a flat false ceiling in with 3x2 scant at 600mm centres. Insulate on top of that with some Celotex to leave an air gap between the current roof and the new ceiling. Install some flat panel LED lights (600x600) and plasterboard/skim.

Room size is 2.4m x 5.3m, obviously joists will run width ways

My question, does this sound ok regarding joist size/construction and insulation idea? Not too bothered if I'm way out in my thinking as that's the reason I've posted haha.

Cheers

Steve
20200616_150527.jpg

Sponsored Links
You could find reflective heat from insulation melts the roof, a friends plastic garage roof melted after he put insulation in the roof ( it was black ).

You could find reflective heat from insulation melts the roof, a friends plastic garage roof melted after he put insulation in the roof ( it was black ).

Hi Foxhole, thanks for your insight.

The pvc is not what I would call typical thickness. It's about 3 inches thick and quite a robust type of plastic. Either way, would lining it from the inside with some reflective material help?

Cheers

Steve

Sponsored Links
Rock wool is a cheaper insulation and does not have the reflective surface of celutex.It would also help to have ventilation across the roof .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back