Sun Tube/Tunnel installation

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of getting one of the Velux sun tunnel/tubes installed to one of my bedrooms but was just wondering if anybody has installed one of these and if it was a difficult job as i will be looking for someone to do it for me and just want to gauge the time it will take which in turn shoulf help with pricing.

I could pretty much do the internal/loft work required but wouldnt dare go up onto the roof lol

thanks

many thanks

Sponsored Links
If you want to do the loft bit yourself then go ahead
A lot of roofers would prefer just to do the external work.

Sponsored Links
you can do someof the external prep work from inside .
for what they are and what you get why bother with them?
theyr not hard to fit but must be done just right or you get a leak or loss of insulation.

The instructions are foolproof.

Your biggest challenge is finding an uninterrupted passage for the tunnel (pipe/cables) etc.

You will also need adequate space cut the hole between joists so that the lip of the lens holder and the flappy screw clamps have room to work.

Also consider where you locate the top lens/flashing tray part of the tunnel so that it does not clash with any ridge tiles, hip tiles or lead flashings. You also need to look at locating the flashing tray (laterally) as to avoid any slither tile cuts.

Other than that they are a piece of cake.

I'm also shopping around for one of these.
Positioning it internally is fine, but is it necessary to place the sun tube at the highest point of the roof? I'm assuming it would perhaps get the most natural light this way, but not sure. Any ideas?

Also is there much difference in light flow between a flexible tube or a rigid tube?

Thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back