Does this Velux sun tunnel look right to you???

".....by the way my 750k house ought to look like a brochure......."

What a tool! :rolleyes: .

Velux are a great product that are fool proof.

There is always one....:cool:

Sponsored Links
Whenever someone makes a big fuss about roofs and what's on them, I always ask how much can they actually see from the ground and how many times have they looked up at their roof in the past week/month/year. "Not much" is the reply most of the time :rolleyes:

The next time the OP is likley to see that velux, is when they are flying past on the way to Benedorm

One thing to remember with roof lights, is that the position of the light in relation to the tiles, and the type of tiles, will determine how much flashing is seen, and the size of gaps around it

Never mind the velux...the tiles look like the ones on our (new build) 1969 very small terraced house...when we moved in and I was @school :LOL: that was a £4.5k house :eek: They still look shyte :LOL: :LOL:

Hey Claude,

Couple of points to consider.

The promotional stuff shows two completely different tile types to yours, profiled concrete tiles and natural slate. In addition these are installed into a large roof slope which will also make the installation easier, I notice that your roof is hipped and the sunpipe is located near the top of the slope. This makes it very difficult to keep the installation as attractive as you might wish.

The corrugated flashing which velux adopted several years ago is designed to suit a wide variety of tiles and as such isn't really great from an aesthetic perspective, particularly when using flat tiles as it tends to lift the front edge of the tiles.

I'd say that the contactor has done their best to ensure that the product will perform and once the hip tiles are installed it will look a little better.

Sponsored Links
If anyone`s bothered :rolleyes: When I do mine I`ll see if a "proper" lead flashing can be made to fit instead of the one supplied.

As previously stated the position of Velux governs the amount of exposed flashing..

When you buy a velux you specify the roofing materials. Natural slate uses a different flashing to and interlocking tile.."Spot the difference" DUH!

So in one picture you are trying to compare two completely different products..."SPOT THE DIFFERENCE"

If you use say, a Stonewold then it will appear different to a clay pantile..because the pantile roll might if your lucky appear to hide the rain channel each side of the Velux.. as per pic.

This applies to Velux roof lights AND Sun Tunnels

you can alter the amount of exposed flashing on either side by simply closing the battening gauge for the tiles, your on a hip end anyway so no need to worry about working the gauge out to meet the roofline. But as said it's a perfectly acceptable installation.

Oh and the pics you posted from velux look computer generated to me, plus the second one is a completely different flashing kit for slates.

If your really bothered and have a few £ to spare, get hold of a 'lead roofer' He'll knock you up something that will work with the velux to your liking. The lead sheet association would be a good place to enquire about a suitably qualified person.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back