Sunken manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure what this is for. Its a 12" circular one that seems to drop during every severe freeze. Hopefully it will rise to its normal level some 25mm higher, but I'm almost afraid to ask because whatever it is, it runs the lenght of my tarmac driveway. Any help please?

Sponsored Links
most peculiar - sure the tarmac isn't heaving?

pop the lid and run a tap, if it runs with water then at least you know it is foul, if no flow then you know it's surface drainage to the road or your soakaway

most peculiar - sure the tarmac isn't heaving?

pop the lid and run a tap, if it runs with water then at least you know it is foul, if no flow then you know it's surface drainage to the road or your soakaway
Thanks for advice, I'd already decided to lift today.I must admit, it could be the tarmac lifting. Now all the snow and ice has gone, it sounds hollow when its tapped.

Did the diddleys do the tarmac ;) seriously tho` the weather we have had must have penetrated a foot down .

Sponsored Links
You're getting a lot of water under the surface which freezes and pushes the surface up. The water that's getting there is trapped. Just a thought. If you were to drop some drainage channels into the surface to allow the water to get away it would help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back