Big Manhole problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Three months ago we had a new drive done - block cobble paving, very similar to the normal brick, anyway

Our drive has always had its problems from the manhole on bad days, when the rain has been heavy, the pressure from the water used to lift the manhole cover slightly and sewer waste would seep out. This happend in the road directly across from us also.
We thought that Yorkshire Water had sorted this problem due to several complaints from myself and other neighbours in the area.

A couple of weeks ago they were pumping and messing on the mainroad doing whatever but its still happening - only now its become worse.

This morning I was woken at 04:45 by heavy water flowing from the manhole on our drive. The cover had been totally lifted off and a powerful flow of water was gushing out trickling down onto the main road
I had to get up to move the waste as its was coverd in well you know what.

This has happend at least 5 times now since the drive has been done and I'm concerned about the damage it may be doing to the drive. Every time we call Yorkshire Water they tell us its under investigation -thats it basically.
My wife is under great stress about this and i'm loosing hope, its embarassing and unhealthy - What can we do ?

Thanks for any advise

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I forgot to mension that i was thinking about driving my car wheel over the top to see if this would stop the cover from lifting when its bad weather.

MOD

please see 10a

Sponsored Links
You and your neighbours could make a nuisance of yourselves to OFWAT
They may be able to apply pressure on your water company. :D

I know MY car would be firmly in position! Grease is the traditional "seal" on many manhole covers, but if it did squeeze out it might make a worse (non water soluble) mess. Soft foam + car would probably seal it quite well.

Sponsored Links
Yer the beefy car wheel seems to have put a stop to it lifting but its still ****ing down here and now its found a new place to come out. The kitchen drain pipe.

Fuk this i'm gonna order 10 tonne of concrete and fill the ****er. ;)

my thoughts.

as you have found out putting a weight on a manhole cover is no use, i would suggest that if water comes out your manhole cover that the drains are too small to cope with the amount of water / solids going down them, and that it is backing up and the pressure is lifting the m hole.

does this happen to all your neighbours or just you or you and say 1 neighbour?

if its just you its your connection to the main sewer that is too small / blocked

if its several of you its the the one nearest the main sewer whose pipe is too small or blocked.

one other thing you say its happened 5 times, how long have the houses been there, it may be an acumilation of "stuff" that is causing a partial blockage

Good points there Breezer

The house directly oposite us seem to have the drain aid van there a lot
pumping out the waste etc, but we don't speek to them because there a very ignorant couple who both work nights and sleep through the day
We call them Vampires - Maybe there's a dead body stuck down the manhole :D

The drain aid van has been to ours and pumped out all the water from the manhole and reckon that camera's need to go down to look around.
The van's been oposite house about two hrs now (wonder whats goin on)

About 200 yards up the street a new housing estate has just been build, so like you say maybe the pipeline is now too small and the slightest bit of rain that comes - well its sewerage time

Thanks for helping -

Ps My wife feels better now next doors tampax have gone LOL

Isn't this a problem for the council to deal with? You don't have any responsibility for the sewers under the street :confused:

Yer its Yorkshire waters problem (I hope) I can't touch a thing

My major consern is the damage to the new cobble pave drive. 6 days after we had it done the manhole flooding due to rain and washed away all the sand, that was keeping the firm bond with the bricks. Its been re-sanded about 4 times now and needs doing again as from today.

Surely that can't be doing the drive any good - some of the bricks have suddenly cracked - i think this could be because of movement due to lack of sand between the cobbles.

Its time we pushed for some compo i think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back