sunken microbore pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the builder that built my house chose to bury the copper microcore central heating pipes directly into the plaster. Over the years the pipes have expanded and cracked the plaster.
I'm now about to decorate the hall and would like to know how to hide these pipes properly. I've probably got about 6 mm of plaster, then brick , and then probably air gap , and then breezeblock(internal garage wall).

How do I do this?, some kind of conduit ?, and then plaster over?

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
In my parents 1981 built bungalow, the pipes run down to the radiators from the ceiling and are covered with a layer of thin insulation between the wall and the pipes, and also on top of the pipes. Then the pipes and the insulation are covered with cable capping and plastered over. There have never been any cracks since it was built.

Hi , thanks for replying. What do you mean when you say “thin layer of insulation”?, also ,what’s ‘cable capping ‘?

Sorry to be a pain

Sponsored Links
Hi, Does it look like the attached file in cross section?
Green- pipe
Red insulation
Green- channel

Black - wall

Attachments

• 267D22D6-902B-4E44-9CE5-EC57740B088A.png
    267D22D6-902B-4E44-9CE5-EC57740B088A.png
    483.7 KB · Views: 153
Over the years,Have seen a lot of serious defects where pipes are buried in walls. Plaster/render cracking is usual but have also seen pipes leaking due to corrosion and friction where the copper pipe expands/contracts against rough masonry.

If pipes have to be buried in a solid wall,then they should be in conduit and have pipe/cable detecting foil attached.All available from johnguest.
Foil-Tape1.jpg
conduit pipe.jpg

It is more like this. Wrapping the insulation around the pipes would probably make it too thick for the plaster and capping to cover. I seem to remember that where the pipes are fixed to internal walls, there is no insulation between the pipes and the wall.

Drawing1 Model (1).jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back