sunken microbore pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by mikeF00, 24 Sep 2017.

1. mikeF00

mikeF00

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, the builder that built my house chose to bury the copper microcore central heating pipes directly into the plaster. Over the years the pipes have expanded and cracked the plaster.
    I'm now about to decorate the hall and would like to know how to hide these pipes properly. I've probably got about 6 mm of plaster, then brick , and then probably air gap , and then breezeblock(internal garage wall).

How do I do this?, some kind of conduit ?, and then plaster over?

Any help appreciated

2. Sponsored Links
  3. stem

stem

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In my parents 1981 built bungalow, the pipes run down to the radiators from the ceiling and are covered with a layer of thin insulation between the wall and the pipes, and also on top of the pipes. Then the pipes and the insulation are covered with cable capping and plastered over. There have never been any cracks since it was built.

4. mikeF00

mikeF00

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi , thanks for replying. What do you mean when you say “thin layer of insulation”?, also ,what’s ‘cable capping ‘?

Sorry to be a pain

5. stem

stem

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. mikeF00

mikeF00

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, Does it look like the attached file in cross section?
    Green- pipe
    Red insulation
    Green- channel

Black - wall

Attached Files:

8. mikeF00

mikeF00

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I mean blue capping

9. Over the years,Have seen a lot of serious defects where pipes are buried in walls. Plaster/render cracking is usual but have also seen pipes leaking due to corrosion and friction where the copper pipe expands/contracts against rough masonry.

If pipes have to be buried in a solid wall,then they should be in conduit and have pipe/cable detecting foil attached.All available from johnguest. Foil-Tape1.jpg conduit pipe.jpg

10. stem

stem

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It is more like this. Wrapping the insulation around the pipes would probably make it too thick for the plaster and capping to cover. I seem to remember that where the pipes are fixed to internal walls, there is no insulation between the pipes and the wall.

Drawing1 Model (1).jpg

11. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local