Sunken or recessed Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

not sure how best to describe this conumdrum but i will try.

We have a detached house with an average sized garden. We are looking at getting an extension but the current design of our house (and new kitchen already built) is restricting our choices about how we would like our extension.

We (SWMBO actually) is dead-set on having a big square shaped living room extension at the rear of our house. A four metre deep mono pitch extension would not give us enough depth for our/her requirements. it is unlikely that we would get permission for deeper than 4m.

We have had a builder/designer in and they have come up with a really neat idea that could work for us but i wanted to check about some of the assumptions about planning permission.

The plan is to have off the back of 1/3 of our house a small monopitch extension and from that an further extension with the bigger room/extension (5mx5m with flat roof).

This extra extension would be stepped down and "sunken" into the garden by approximately 60cm. it would be accessed by the monopitched extension. The height of this extra bit of extension would approx2m from the external ground and would be sort of flush with the height of our fence panels with the neighbours.

The designer has shown me some examples of where they have done this work previously and it looks really nice and impressive and they seem to have done a good job of it. My question is about permission. Designer has suggested we would not need planning permission or undertake neighbour consultation about the extra bit as it is under 2m high and they would not be affected by loss of light etc.

I can see that the first part of the extension will be covered by our permitted development rights. Would it be ok to for rest to be covered by the permitted development rights?

Are there any other design or permission considerations that we would need to consider?

Sponsored Links
Can't quite follow your description, and a sketch plan would help.

But your designers assertion that it would not need planning permission owing to the height being less than 2m, sets alarm bells ringing.

It is also not the case that planning permission is not needed if the neighbours 'would not be affected by loss of light'.

Your 'designer' appears not to be familiar with the permitted development rules.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back