Width of Side Extension. Some help needed please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am drawing the plans for our side extension to the house but just needed a little clarification. The planning dept says on their website that the maximum width of the new extension must not exceed more than half the width of the existing dwelling. As we have quite a bit of space to play with at the side of our house we would like to make the extension about 3 foot wider, but this means that the new extension will be more than half the width of existing house.

Is what the planning dept are saying just for extensions that don't need permission i.e (permitted development) or is this set in stone right across the board? We want to lodge a formal application but just wondered how we might get on. Is the final decision down to the discretion of the planning officer looking after our application or are they dead set on their terms.

The side extension is 2 storey by the way.

Thanks

Bri

Sponsored Links
very helpful, thanks. I will submit the plans for having the extension wider than what is permitted deveopment and hope they approve them. After reading the document it seems that what I am proposing may not necessarily be ruled out but just needs to go through the application process for a decision

With regards to side extensions it either is PD or is not. Are you submitting an application for lawful development? If so if it does not meet with the requirements of PD it will not be approved. Whether it be 3" or 3ft over.

Sponsored Links
Yes, for lawful development.

It's odd because over the road from us, about 4 years ago, the homeowners there did the same thing. They have extended to the side more than half the width of the existing house. I'm hoping I will be able to do the same.

Just not too clued up on all the planning laws.

Maybe they got full planning permission, or maybe didn't bother with doing it under PD either. Look on your local authority website and they'll be an online register where you can look up applications, tap in the address or postcode and you should find it if it is there.

... about 4 years ago, the homeowners there did the same thing. They have extended to the side more than half the width of the existing house.

Current PD regs came into force in 2008. Previously there was not limitation as to the extension width

And some LA's will have guidance documents (i.e. SPG's) that would restrict side extensions to a max. half the width of the "original" building, whether it falls under the requirements of PD or not.

I have recently had one refused on that basis.

Thank you all! I think I will change the width of the extension so that it conforms to the requirements. I will lose a foot or so but probably better to avoid all the hassle.

Cheers

A certificate of lawfulness would be refused - cos it ain't lawful. You need to submit a full planning app.

I think I know what jeds is referring to...

The side extension is 2 storey by the way.

As well as the width of a side extension, they also can only be single storey with a maximum height of 4m to fall under the requirements of PD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back