Super glue on paintwork!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have managed to get superglue on the paintwork of my Golf - I was using to stick back on a fairing strip. :rolleyes:

Anyone got any ideas on how I will be able to remove it?

It covers a couple of inches in diameter and because the car is black the white glue really shows up.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
big-all - cheers for the advice.

I did a bit of searching on the internet and found the following on Locktites website's Q&A section -

Super Glue can be removed from a surface with acetone (nail polish remover), hot water, or Super Glue Remover

Item_517.jpg

Sponsored Links
Acetone will take off the paint too.
Wait until it freezes then just scrape it off.
Pete

Fluffster said:
Acetone will take off the paint too.
Wait until it freezes then just scrape it off.
Pete

Looks like I won't have to wait too long with all this predicted snow on its way!

I had a go at removing the glue first with soapy warm water & then with nail varnish remover but with no success so far.

Autoglym Intensive Tar remover will remove it I'm sure. Top quality car product and costs about a fiver. You will need to polish the paintwork after using it as it removes the wax from your paintwork. This is a multi use product and I've used it with great results

if u dont wana wait till it freezes get some freeze spray for pipes and spray it on it..see if it does the job.

paint should be ok as cars designed for some real frosty stuff eh :D

Mr Lil said:
Autoglym Intensive Tar remover will remove it I'm sure. Top quality car product and costs about a fiver. You will need to polish the paintwork after using it as it removes the wax from your paintwork. This is a multi use product and I've used it with great results

Cheers for the tip - I will give it a go.
I have some tar marks on my other car anyway so it would be worth getting!
;)

I use tar remover in my job but i dont think it will dissolve superglue though ;) If you cant find a chemical to remove it you may well have to think of flattening it with some wet/dry paper followed by some G3 cutting compound followed by a good polish/wax.

Sponsored Links
Back