Superimposed hearth overlapping wood floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I'm in the process of preparing a superimposed hearth and would like a little advice. I'll be tiling it with porcelain tiles but want it raised above floor height - e.g. 50-70 mm - something like the first photo below.
The superimposed hearth will extend a little past the constructional hearth and overlap the suspended wooden floorboards - see second image...
I have 2 questions
(1) What material should I use to build up the 50mm? (B&Q chap suggests screed of some sort, like a floor-leveling compound.)
(2) I plan tp put down some sort of sheeting (DPM) in a temporary timber frame to contain the poured screed, otherwise it would run down in between the floor boards. Does that sound like a sensible way to approach it?

Sponsored Links
Is the constructional hearth flush with the top of the floor boards at present?

Is the new hearth going to lie on top of this?

How far past the original will the new hearth extend?

If it is only extending over the floor boards by an inch or two, (25-50mm), then I would think there would be no problem regarding load bearing. However, you may have a problem at some time in the future if you need to raise the floorboards. The chances are that there is a trimmer joist running across the front of the present hearth and the ends of the floor boards will be secured to this. One way to over come this may be to trim your boards back to the next joist so if you have to lift them at some future date you will not damage the new hearth. This is assuming of course that your floorboards run to the fire place and not across it. If they run across then there should be no problem.
For the new base I would construct a frame as you have suggested and line it with a plastic liner. I would also use concrete rather than a levelling compound.

As I am not a builder please seek advice from a professional before taking my word for it. With luck someone else will respond to this post and point out any errors I may have made.

Conny, thanks a lot for the reply.

Is the constructional hearth flush with the top of the floor boards at present?
Slightly lower (5mm if that)

Is the new hearth going to lie on top of this?
Yes it will

How far past the original will the new hearth extend?
I think it's only going to be 50mm at the front and maybe 100 at either side. Something like that.

I would also use concrete rather than a levelling compound.
I know very little about concrete or the levelling compound - can you tell me why? Cheaper I would guess. Does it set quicker too? Any ideas on what kind of sand to use and ratios? I don't really know where to start with that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back