Supplementary Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm starting work on a pair of walk in wardrobes by partitioning off some of the bedroom, the back of which is a north facing external wall. The wall is a cavity, which is insulated and not especially cold at the moment but I am aware this will change when it is closed off from the rest of the room. I want to insulate the inside by putting battens on, insulation boards between then foil backed plasterboard over the top. Is there any way of determining how thick the insulation should be as I don't want to loose too much space? Would 25mm make enough difference?

Sponsored Links
if there's no issue with the existing insulation, why not put a small heat source in there. Even a small towel rail or even a couple of loops of pipe would be ample.

Not so keen on having an actual heater in there, but there are heating pipes running down one corner so they may help a bit. Is it worth insulating the wall to compensate for the heat from the bedroom no longer getting all the way to the back?

Not so keen on having an actual heater in there, but there are heating pipes running down one corner so they may help a bit. Is it worth insulating the wall to compensate for the heat from the bedroom no longer getting all the way to the back?
what's an actual heater?
If your wall is insulated you won't need more, you need enough heat and adequate air flow

Sponsored Links
Sorry just a bit paranoid about damp and mould getting on the other half's clothes....
I was going to leave a decent gap under the doors for ventilation and probably a couple of vents (bedroom side). I can also get the central heating pipes rerouted so they run along the bottom of the outside wall rather than just down the corner, hopefully that should be ok

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back