supplementry combi.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just a quicky... conficting comments regarding wheather its necessary to bond the 5 pipes under a combi. it was always a requirement for the the 'warm front' government scheme i was involved in a few years back but have been told it is not a neccesity anymore from a fellow spark.

i understand that the hot and cold water pipe bonding requirement has changed but my thinking was more towards the rad pipes that are in copper..

thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I had a discussion about this with the gas technicians that fitted by new boiler, and they said that their electrician requires them to bond all the pipes together.

Sponsored Links
I had a discussion about this with the gas technicians that fitted by new boiler, and they said that their electrician requires them to bond all the pipes together.

I have met only a handful of electricians who understood bonding, main or supplementary, and not one of them was still on the tools at the time.

Have those same gas technicians and/or electricians ever considered what all five of those pipes are connected to?

The problem here is that many (inexperienced) electricians play copycat: They see that a certain combi boiler has been bonded up to the hilt - and they naturally expect that it's the correct way to do it, so they follow suit thereby perpetuating this myth.

The fact is (as others here have pointed out) that such bonding has never been required (not even by the infamous and much misunderstood 15th Ed.).

There might have been a requirement to bond at least one pipe of a combi when installed in a bathroom (say), but there's never been a need to bond the hell out of all the other pipes as they're clearly joined already by the metallic contact with the boiler itself.

Little wonder that combi owners tend to place a boxing over the unsightly pipes and wires below a combi!

Lucia.

It still makes me smile when I have to replace an immersion element and when opening up the cupboard your greeted by as much earth cable as you are copper pipe..

Often get called in to cross-bond boiler pipes because the gas inspection (rented properties) has said it needs to be done. Poor old landlord gets caught in the middle, but from his/her point of view the gas inspection is compulsory (so the bloke must know what he's talkign about) but there's no requirement for an electrcial inspection, so the electrician should just get on and do as he's told!

PJ

It still makes me smile when I have to replace an immersion element and when opening up the cupboard your greeted by as much earth cable as you are copper pipe..
From one of our own correspondents:

kaibondingearthot1.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back