boiler earth bonding / cross bonding ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, just been back to a job where a boiler has been fitted since I issued a certificate 12 month ago. (complete rewire under building control))
Am I right in thinking supplementry bonding and cross bonding are no longer required on the boiler? (17th)
The boiler is fed on PVC but has a copper heating circuit.

Also had an interesting conversation with the building inspector regarding supplementry earthing to a completle PVC water installation.
There is no copper /lead after stop tap so no earth bonding required?
What if there is say 6" of copper pipe after stop tap.
Also told initially that I had to cross bond hot and cold copper stubbs underneath sink and bath ! But this was later retracted.

Cheers Steve

Sponsored Links
On a 17th install only main bonding is required to metal / copper gas and water mains.

If its plastic pipes or just small copper stubs then supplementary isn't required.

Subject to test results being within scope, bathroom copper doesn't need supplementary bonding on a 17th install.

I'd hope that the pipe feeds on to the boiler are NOT plastic, all the ones I've seen and talked to the plumbers about require 600mm of copper on to the boiler, as the hottest points in the system plastic isn't good enough.

Thankyou for the confirmation.
The boiler does have the regulation 600mm copper tail to water supply.
The central heating circuit to the radiators is in copper, do you know if these need to be cross bonded at the boiler?
I assume not?
Thankyou Steve

Sponsored Links
Am I right in thinking supplementry bonding and cross bonding are no longer required on the boiler? (17th)

It wasn't required under the 16th edition either.

There is no copper /lead after stop tap so no earth bonding required?

If it is a metallic supply pipe then it is likely to introduce a potential into the building, and will require a main protective bonding connection.

What if there is say 6" of copper pipe after stop tap.

If it is a metallic supply pipe then it is likely to introduce a potential into the building, and will require a main protective bonding connection. If it is a plastic supply pipe, and a plastic installation, main protective bonding will not be required.

Also told initially that I had to cross bond hot and cold copper stubbs underneath sink and bath ! But this was later retracted.

Good.

Might be worth asking on the plumbing forum as I believe they have their own regs in regard to cross bonding. Definitely you should check the installation manual as some specify this should be done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back