Supplimentary earth bonding in bathroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All of the plumbing to the bathroom in my house is plastic for the sink, bath, toilet and radiators, although some of the pipework within the bathroom is in copper (radiator tails and some of the interconnections between the bath, toilet and sink). I am looking to having an electric shower fitted, and have been told that no supplimentary bonding will be required, and that just the protective conductor in the wiring to the shower unit will suffice. Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
tim-spam said:
All of the plumbing to the bathroom in my house is plastic for the sink, bath, toilet and radiators, although some of the pipework within the bathroom is in copper (radiator tails and some of the interconnections between the bath, toilet and sink). I am looking to having an electric shower fitted, and have been told that no supplimentary bonding will be required, and that just the protective conductor in the wiring to the shower unit will suffice. Is this correct?

correct

Interesting topic..... I am about to have my bathroom gutted and refurbished. I don't plan to do this myself, and will ensure that the builder I use for the work uses a qualified electrician.

However to avoid this work causing too much disruption around the rest of the house at the same time - I do plan to run in additional cables and leave tails at both ends of generous length for the electrician to make use of.

Firstly the shower is currently an 8kW model and fed from 6mm T&E from a 32A MCB. The new shower will be 9.5kW. Since the cable will be buried in plaster for part of its run I plan to run in some 10 MM T&E ready for connection to a 40A MCB.

The bathroom plumbing is all copper and includes a radiator. Until 2004 there was no bonding at all between any services in the house. In 2004 British Gas installed a new boiler and run 10mm earth cables between the CU earth point and the main gas supply pipe.

I plan to run in a 10 mm earth cable and leave tails for the electrician.

My questions are based around the need for things such as the shower protective earth needing to be bonded to the other metal pipework in the bathroom.

Since I plan to run a new 10 mm earth from the CU to the bathroom to be used there in part of the bonding, I assume that since the shower supply will be connected to the same earth point at the CU I will have catered for this need and dont' need to explicity connect the earth point int he shower itself to the other pipework?

Also the kitchen is directly below the bathroom and due to refubishment afterwards. Since I will be running 10mm earth fromt he CU to the bathroom, is it permissable to then take a feed from that to the kitchen to earth and bond the main incoming water supply pipe as opposed to taking a direct feed from the CU earth point.

In the way I describe all services will eb bonded using 10mm earth cable and will be connected to the Cu earth point, but the main incomming water supply pipe will not have a direct dedicated feed to the CU earth.

As mentioned I know that these rooms as 'special' locations in terms of Part P and will not be carrying out the work myself, just trying to make the job easier by doing some prep work with the cable runs themselves.

Any advice appreciated.
Regards
Clive

Sponsored Links
ccarmock said:
Firstly the shower is currently an 8kW model and fed from 6mm T&E from a 32A MCB. The new shower will be 9.5kW. Since the cable will be buried in plaster for part of its run I plan to run in some 10 MM T&E ready for connection to a 40A MCB.
If kept away from insulation, 10mm is normally adequate for a 40A supply.
I plan to run in a 10 mm earth cable and leave tails for the electrician.
From MET (main earth terminal) to bathroom is not required.
Since I plan to run a new 10 mm earth from the CU to the bathroom to be used there in part of the bonding, I assume that since the shower supply will be connected to the same earth point at the CU I will have catered for this need and dont' need to explicity connect the earth point int he shower itself to the other pipework?
As above, a connection from the MET to bathroom is not required. The supplementary equipotential bonding is required in a bathroom to bond together the extraneous and circuit protective conductors of circuits supplying class 1&2 equipment in zones 1,2,3. This bonding is required local to the bathroom. The method you are suggesting can, in a fault condition, create a dangerous potential in the bathroom.
Also the kitchen is directly below the bathroom and due to refubishment afterwards. Since I will be running 10mm earth fromt he CU to the bathroom, is it permissable to then take a feed from that to the kitchen to earth and bond the main incoming water supply pipe as opposed to taking a direct feed from the CU earth point.
You will need to run a 10mm earth from the MET to where the water pipe enters the building.
Before you do any of this, please have a chat with your electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back