Supply cable question

Do you honestly think people would know what you really meant from? -
I’m looking to turn our electricity meter (inside) 90 degrees and move it 11 inches, which doesn’t effect the supply cable in the loft but means the wall it comes down on will be demolished. Anyone know if I’d need to call in the big network guys to secure it to a the new wall, or would the new meter installer not worry too much about it? Just to clarify the supply cables will still exit from the ceiling from more or less the same place give it an inch or two. Also, would the meter installer be willing to shorten the supply cable so the meter could be higher up the wall?
Quite so.
To which Bernard's reply was completely correct.
Very true but, in view of the above, I think that even bernard would probably agree that his answer was correct 'more by luck than judgement'!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Do you honestly think people would know what you really meant from? -

I’m looking to turn our electricity meter (inside) 90 degrees and move it 11 inches, which doesn’t effect the supply cable in the loft but means the wall it comes down on will be demolished. Anyone know if I’d need to call in the big network guys to secure it to a the new wall, or would the new meter installer not worry too much about it? Just to clarify the supply cables will still exit from the ceiling from more or less the same place give it an inch or two. Also, would the meter installer be willing to shorten the supply cable so the meter could be higher up the wall?

To which Bernard's reply was completely correct.

Actually yes I do. My question was asked in the hope someone who had a great amount of knowledge on the subject could answer. That alone would mean they had been in the line of business long enough to understand a description from a novice like me.

The fact my question was fully answered so quickly even though I wasn’t knowledgeable on this subject proves you don’t have to know everything about the subject you are asking about. If I did know enough to expressi in great technical detail I wouldn’t need to ask in the first place!

After all, this forum is all about novices like myself asking advise from people who know far more than those asking. If certain members couldn’t understand then maybe it wasn’t a subject for them to reply to.

As for Bernard, he should have read my post completely before posting a reply which was accusing me of all sorts. Had it of been read from start to end then he’d of realised his reply was totally inappropriate.

Actually yes I do. My question was asked in the hope someone who had a great amount of knowledge on the subject could answer. That alone would mean they had been in the line of business long enough to understand a description from a novice like me.
I think that the thing which caused the initial confusion and misunderstandings was that you only mentioned 'moving the meter' (which, in itself, would usually be fairly straightforward), whereas the reality is that a lot more than just the meter is involved.

Kind Regards, John

I think that the thing which caused the initial confusion and misunderstandings was that you only mentioned 'moving the meter' (which, in itself, would usually be fairly straightforward), whereas the reality is that a lot more than just the meter is involved.

Kind Regards, John

I agree totally which is why I later posted saying I was a little harsh with him and should have placed a ‘having’ in the sentence to make it more evident I wasn’t moving it myself. With this said, it would have been clear had the entire post been read.

Goes to prove nobody is perfect. I could have written it better and Bernard could have read it better. Kinda evens out with no hard feelings I’m sure.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back