supply for welder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, i currently have a 180 amp arc welder which just about runs on a 13 amp socket outlet. Suspect it needs a bigger supply as it blows a fuse now and then. However i could do with a bigger welder for occaisional heavy jobs such as a 250 amp and wondered what size supply cable and fuse would cope. Also what type of plug as the welders i have seen say they are portable ? Thanks, stix.
P.S if anyone has any experience of welders which aren't worth buying please offer your advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi folks, i currently have a 180 amp arc welder which just about runs on a 13 amp socket outlet. Suspect it needs a bigger supply as it blows a fuse now and then.
I'm not surprised - there'll be a surge when you strike the arc. Is that when the fuse goes?

Or when you've had an arc going for a while? What's the output voltage when the arc has been struck? Multiply that by 180 and if it's much more than 3kW that'll put the fuse at risk too.

What do the instructions say about supplying it?

However i could do with a bigger welder for occaisional heavy jobs such as a 250 amp and wondered what size supply cable and fuse would cope.
Whatever the makers say. A dedicated circuit on a C32 would cut down the risk of the breaker tripping. D would be better, but you'd struggle to get the fault loop value low enough.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=76467#76467

Also what type of plug as the welders i have seen say they are portable ?
At a guess, 16A or 32A EN 60309.

P.S if anyone has any experience of welders which aren't worth buying please offer your advice.
Try the tools and/or car forums.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back