Supply to an outside wall light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing an outside wall light and find the cavity in the wall is sealed of at the top.
What alternatives are there for supplying the light and gaining access to the cavity

Sponsored Links
standard wall configuration.. the walls are 2 skins of brick seperated by a gap of air ( sometimes filled with insulating boards these days or retro filled with expanding foam.. )

they are usually capped off at the top to stop things faling or crawling down them...

you cannot use the cavity to run cables since anyone drilling through the wall would be unaware that the cables were there..

the exception to this is if the cables are installed during the construction of the walls in the "safe zones" and are clipped to the bricks... ( such as in the knee walls of a conservatory where you will have the brick face as the final finish.. )

the usual way is to run it under the floorboards and out of the wall between the floor... ( sloping downwards and sealed with a good sealant )

standard wall configuration.. the walls are 2 skins of brick seperated by a gap of air ( sometimes filled with insulating boards these days or retro filled with expanding foam.. )

they are usually capped off at the top to stop things faling or crawling down them...

you cannot use the cavity to run cables since anyone drilling through the wall would be unaware that the cables were there..

the exception to this is if the cables are installed during the construction of the walls in the "safe zones" and are clipped to the bricks... ( such as in the knee walls of a conservatory where you will have the brick face as the final finish.. )

the usual way is to run it under the floorboards and out of the wall between the floor... ( sloping downwards and sealed with a good sealant )
Thanks for your comments:
I am installing this outside light on a bungalow wall approx 25" down from the soffit, if I take your advice I will have to run the cable on the surface as it is the only way to the light fitting, is this correct?

Sponsored Links
yup.. same predicament myself.. top floor maisonette with concrete floors..

gonna come out of the sofit with white conduit down to the light..

or you can clip direct if it's not going to be at risk of impact damage etc.

Thanks for your comments:
I am installing this outside light on a bungalow wall approx 25" down from the soffit, if I take your advice I will have to run the cable on the surface as it is the only way to the light fitting, is this correct?
[/quote]

25" - you could drill that straight from outside to the roof space, but its odd for it to be wood? you sure your not feeling the wall plate instead

2 foot down the wall will noit go into the roof space on a bungalow.. it will be mid wall somewhere..

2 foot down the wall will noit go into the roof space on a bungalow.. it will be mid wall somewhere..

drilled it more than once - about 23 degrees if I remember correctly, normaly we only drill up through 3 courses of brick but 5 to 7 is still not really pushing it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back