Support roof over door opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building the outbuilding pictured, in my garden. It's 4.8 x 3.2. It will have a 24 degree cut roof with the ridge running lengthways, with clay tiles.

Can anyone suggest what size and material lintel I could put over the 2.6 door opening, to support the roof at that point? Around 4 rafters will land on it. I want to keep it as low as possible. I am assuming that a 65x100 concrete lintel with one steel rod in it will not cut it. Steel or timber? Timber fixed above the door frame would also gain the 50mm of the door frame as part of its depth.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
You didn't guage down from the top of the frame then? :cautious:

Anyway, two 6 or 7 x4's, and the rafters on hangers or a ledger to reduce the height by whatever the rafter depth is.

Thanks.

There's still a course or two of bricks to go on, front and rear, to give a level wall plate.

"Gauge" ;)

Any way to get the height down from what you've suggested? Using 4x2s and screwing and glueing to the door frame gives a total depth of 6", but I guess that's insufficient.

Sponsored Links
I'm no SE:whistle: but you could always trim across it slightly higher up and do some doubling or tripling of rafters either side. Then you could lose the thickness where it's less critical for the door! Are you short on height due to minimum pitch and permitted development limits?

if depth of beam is critical, a piece of 100 x 100 angle, with a 4" x 2" timber coach-screwed to the upright face from the back would do.
(the timber would contribute little to the beam but would just provide a fixing for the rafters).

Attachments

• angle iron.pdf
    349.2 KB · Views: 199
Are you sure? What's wrong with 152mm x 89mm all of a sudden.:p

:mrgreen:
Sooooo funny :sleep: In an ideal world, maybe, but a 152 + 50mm wall plate would take up 8" depth; it would also be way over the top structurally. The Hamster wants as slim a beam as possible, and angle iron would be ideal.

angle iron would be ideal.
We did a rotten rafter-end/wall plate repair recently using a similar method. Awkward bu££er too. Nowhere to bear the iron in the room I was fixing so had to transfer the beam through into the next bedroom.

Window tight against a party wall zero bearing....
Next door bedroom with angle poking through behind the two coax cables...

Are you having gable ends on it?

You could put a big purlin somewhere between the wallplate and ridge to take a lot of the weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back