Support Wall Removal Advise

I feel your pain with your SE. I went though the same BS. Giving me dimensions for pad stones which wouldn't even fit. 215 wide padstone to go ontop of a single 100 wide brick wall and couldn't understand why I couldn't use it. Complete idiot

Sponsored Links
It's annoying that we pay these people good money to sort this type of stuff out and then they do it all wrong and we have to get someone else to do it properly. It didn't cost too much to get the calcs redone and was worth it for piece of mind. The original padstones were 265mm wide and the cavity from end to end was 295mm wide :eek:

I'm making really good progress now. I've made good of the pillars at each end and now have a 145mm gap between the beams and top of the pillars. My padstones are 135mm high so just need something that's 10/11/12mm to go between before I sit them in place. I will be sitting them on a bed of mortar but due to the weight there's no way they will sit properly if just on mortar.

I'm having abit of trouble getting my head around the joists hangers. The joist hangers I've got are far taller than the timber inside the web and the floor joists themselves. I have read before that every hole in the hanger needs to be fixed with either twist nails or screws.

Here's my dilema

Above the beams is two bedrooms, one is finished and one is not. Can anyone offer advice on this please?

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back