Supporting bath at base.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may sound like a silly question but does a new bath have to be supported by the supplied legs or would battening and securing the rim and chocking the base up with wood suffice. About to fit a bath but I don't have much confidence in the preattached battens under the rim that the top of the legs screw to.

Sponsored Links
could be wrong but the legs are supported on the base and the struts going up the side are to give support and rigidity to the whole structure

Indeed, the legs give the whole structure rigidity, and help against the sides being pushed out when full of water (and bather).

If it was a cheap bath, could you tell me where you managed to get one with timber all round and legs please? (I'm a diyer looking for a not too expensive bath)

Usually depends on the loading points built into the bath. Different baths have different frames and depending on the fixing points usually dictates where the bath is designed to be supported. A lot have battens built into the top edges and the frames screws into that.

If you put battens on the base where it's not designed to have them then there is the danger of cracking at those points when full of water and you step in. Acrylic baths are designed to have some flex to them but where they flex is the important part.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks. Will use the legs. I bought the bath from Home base Mogget. I have found it to be poor quality in general with a small crack on rim behind taps. The wooden battening is very poor and splitting. Nothing I can do though as I have stored in spare room for few months waiting for chance to fit. Thanks again guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back