Supporting Uprights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was planning on changing the door linings in the upstairs and downstairs of this terraced Victorian house as they are all p****ed and warped. The plaster on these walls was also blown so I hacked it all off and the brick infill between the uprights wasn't vertical so I thought it would be easier to put up new plasterboard.
However I can't tell whether the wooden uprights which I've left in situ are fully supporting the joists. In the picture there is a joist directly along the length of the uprights and it is a similar story in the downstairs room.
Will I be ok to remove these uprights and put in an entire new stud wall or should I just put in a new stud wall in sections and plasterboard around the old uprights?

I assume if I can't remove them I can for example put in the stud wall in the middle section in the picture then remove the upright to the left then fit a new door lining and upright?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't be.
Why do you want to replace the wood, is it rotten etc...?
the old wood is probably better than anything you'll replace it with

It's a bit damaged in places but otherwise mostly sound. I just thought it would be easier putting in a long length for a header and sole plate rather than individual sections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back