Supporting wall or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, just thought i would pose this question to the knowledgeable people on here. Please see attached pics. Eventually would like to remove the wall shown in the pics to achieve the layout in the NEW PLAN pic. However I wont be in a position to do this for another year or so. Until then I would like to remove the wall to achieve the same as the NEIGHBOURS pic. I would also like to remove the short horizontal section of wall to the left of the kitchen door. Both of my neighbours have removed the wall as shown and did not take any measures to strengthen it. One particular neighbour who was in the building trade said that the beams in the ceiling just meet the requirements for the distance of the left hand external wall to the centre wall. The distance is 3750mm and beams are 175 x 50mm. As the wall is a brick wall I was worried it may be a supporting wall but I believe as the house is 1950's build internal non supporting brick walls were common. I have also attached a view of the upstairs layout. Would love to hear some expert thoughts on this.

Attachments

• upstairs.JPG
    upstairs.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 98
  • new plan.JPG
    new plan.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 94
  • neighbours..JPG
    neighbours..JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 78
  • existing down.JPG
    existing down.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
Googling says 47x170 @ 400 is OK for 3550.
So yes it's likely that 50x175 is OK for 3750.

Your proposed "new plan" will have fire safety issues; not insurmountable, but requires thought before you go too far.

Sponsored Links
Googling says 47x170 @ 400 is OK for 3550.
So yes it's likely that 50x175 is OK for 3750.

Your proposed "new plan" will have fire safety issues; not insurmountable, but requires thought before you go too far.

Many thanks. If i only go ahead with knocking down the wall as per neighbours with the additional small section and leave the kitchen boor where it is now would this have any impact on fire safety as the staircase would have the same protection it has now?

thanks again.

Thanks for replies. Would love to hear a few more thoughts on this. Like I mention I know neighbours have done very similar without issues and their houses are still standing :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back