Supporting weight of bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a bath ... the problem I have is that one end of the bath the feet will come to rest over an area where previously there was a stair well and weakish looking floor supports were put in.

Please see the picture. The area I am refering to is on the left hand side. You can see the battens for the ceiling below .. at the top and bottom of these is timber which has been screwed into the concrete either side.

The feet for the bath will come to rest in between the second batten and the first joist from the left.

What would you recommend? Is this a goer?
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Is this on the ground floor or on the first floor?

mrdjc .. this is on the first floor .. my current working plan is to get a smaller bath so that the feet fall on a joist ... unless you have any brain waves?

Double up the joists, and interconnect them with staggered connections it will stop them flexing as much under load.

Perhaps also get some board under the bath to spread the load.
You can purchase various types of treated boards.

Question really is how are these "new" joists secured to the structure of the house if they are over an old stairwell. Do you see any signs of brackets or steels in the wall? Or are they simply connected to the older joists?

Sponsored Links
The "new joists" aren't any such thing unfortunately. They are two small pieces of timber screwed into some sort of brittle concrete making up the internal walls.

I should be ok if I avoid placing any weight over that surface and get the feet directly over the old house joists so that is what I am planning for now. I will be replacing the flooring with 18 mm marine ply.

1. With respect, clean up your work area, including in the joist bays - brush and vac. Things and thinking go much easier in a clean workplace.
2. Post some more pics outlining the proposed footprint of the bath and it's drainage wall, and note exactly which are joists and which are battens. Outline also the position of the masonry walls.
3. What was in "that" position before the demo?
4. For a larger solution you could post an existing and a proposed bathroom layout. Some ingenious minds post advice on here and i learn much from them.

1. Thanks for the tidy up advice .. you made my Mrs proud of me!
2. See pics below for proposed footprint in the room layout pic.. red x are where a 1650 bath feet would fall ... green x where the 1500 mm bath feet fall.
3. Before demo there was a basin in that position (smallish recessed in a floor standing cabinet)
4. I would very much like to hear any suggestions people have for lay out but I have included a picture with my intended lay out drawn on.

Many thanks.

1. Your layout seems fine for the space available, and position of the door. Only you will know where the waste, soil and vent are positioned. You might have a little hacking out of the wall joist/blocking to accommodate your tub waste if it's going directly thro the wall.

2. Ref. layout, if you intend a shower: plan and detail it into the first fix.

3. Running under your door threshold and the partition to it's left and right, is perhaps is a trimmer joist.
See if you can locate this joist - look under the floor at the opening near the threshold.

4. The boxing that the radio sits on, can it be removed? That would give you room for a 1700 -1800mm tub.

5. If the door partition is not supported by a trimmer joist then a radical approach would be to punch thro, under the partition, into the ( carpeted ) next room with some bearers, and hang them from an available joist, or is that not possible? Where is the stairwell now located?

6. there are other areas i could advise on, but for now, perhaps the questions above are enough to be going on with.

1. Soil pipe exits to the right of the toilet viewed from the floor plan picture. The basin and bath waste will feed into this horizontal branch .. I have a seperate discussion for this matter here //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbi...basin-waste-to-110-horizontal.316650/#2335149

2. The intention is to have a shower bath. A simple wall mounted thermostatic bath shower mixer mounted in the wall immediately to the left of the door.

3. 4. and 5 .. I am giving up on the idea of trying to support a larger bath .. The boxing you can see that the radio sits on allows for headroom in the stairwell on the other side .. the original stairwell was modified to give more floor room in this space.

Thanks for the advice Tim00

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back