suprima 50 not resetting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 5 year old potterton suprima 50 which will not reset.(red light flashing).I have tested with a meter the overheat thermostat,temperature sensor and temp control assy.All test ok I suspect the pcb?I would be grateful for any ideas :

Sponsored Links
I am not an expert with boilers by any means, but I had a similar (but not exactly the same) problem with my Suprima a few months ago.... it needed the PCB replacing, apparently it is VERY common for the PCB to die on the Suprima.

Potterton want something like 170 quid + VAT for the PCB so I just got a reconditioned one from these guys.....

www.cetltd.com

....they were very good and the boiler works a dream now. Cost about 40 quid in total if I remember rightly.

It's easy to make a boiler work, you just override all the safety circuits...

I'm not suggesting all backstreet unqualified uninformed tinkerers produce lethal products all the time, but some do, sometimes. Any appliance found by a Crogi reg engr with parts not ex manufacturer have to be switched off and categorized "At Risk" and it's a criminal offence to use them. Read post from nick1976 and replies.

Sorry to say, Baggy is right. I had the same problem.
Potterton introduced a improved version of the pcb about 2 years ago and I purchased one from curzon (www.curzoncare.co.uk or com) £132 approx.
If you remove the pcb and examine with a magnifying glass you will probablely find the soldering of the terminal posts are cracked.
You could try re soldering
The reconditioned ones were about £50 including post and packing
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
You'll may well find that there's a "burnt" looking patch between a couple of relays somewhere in the middle of the board.

Yes, I have had cause to examine a Potterton boiler with the symptoms of the flashing red LED.

On examination (of the PCB) I found that the several zener diodes (small glass components) run quite hot and actually scorch the printed circuit board. Their solder connections on the board were cracked (failed). Resoldering effected an immediate short term cure to the problem. Also it was necessary to clean the scorched areas of the board.

I have now replaced the 4 zeners (all 12 volt zeners) with rather larger ones and have mounted them 8 mm off the board. This repair should be effective for some years.

Hi, i am yet another person with this problem.

A question to "electron" what power (mW) did you upgrade to ? and do you have a link to the supplier you used ?

Many thanks
Ned

MOD

please see item 17

start a new thread this on is nearly two years old

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back