Potterton Suprima 50 firing up, then stopping, then again.

Sponsored Links
I've just been doing some searching on this forum (and others) and have read comments about the red HT lead to the igniter not being very reliable.

Just replacing the pcb is not the preferred fix for these boilers.
There is a kit which contains the drop down panel and all the electronics, plus all new wiring including the HT/sensor leads. Get that done and forget your plumber chucking parts at it, or maybe that's what he has in mind.

Just replacing the pcb is not the preferred fix for these boilers . . . There is a kit which contains the drop down panel and all the electronics
Sorry I meant to clarify by saying the PCB in the sealed-box is that unit you are referring to, so it's the latest version.

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me like you should get someone in that knows what they're doing and stop opening up the combustion chamber.(unless your qualified to do so)

It sounds to me like you should get someone in that knows what they're doing and stop opening up the combustion chamber.(unless your qualified to do so)
The "qualified" people, meaning Potterton's "HeatTeam" want to charge me £325 plus VAT to sort it.
I've managed to service it regularly and replace the two previous PCBs with the latest version for the last 13 years, so I know more about the Suprima 50 than most plumbers who have come to service it at various intervals in its life. I've only just learned about the red igniter lead, as Potterton conveniently keep quiet about faulty items in their boilers, just like the early PCBs.

As plumbers are all thick and left school at 15 then its not surprising that you know more about them.

What baffles me though is that a new ign lead is included in the genuine pcb upgrade kit.

Tony

What baffles me though is that a new igniter lead is included in the genuine pcb upgrade kit.
Yes, a "new" igniter lead was supplied with the latest kit I fitted . . however, it was made of a woven Carbon-fibre sort of material, and others have found it becomes faulty quite rapidly (as I have), just like many Potterton components, so the very latest kits will have an Igniter lead made of "proper" wire.
I'm getting the wire igniter lead tomorrow morning, and will advise my neighbours, who have mostly have the same Suprima 50, if they have a similar fault to upgrade the lead to a wire one ;)

As plumbers are all thick and left school at 15 then its not surprising that you know more about them.

What baffles me though is that a new ign lead is included in the genuine pcb upgrade kit.

Tony
freakin shame somebody as supposedly intelligent as you can't do the job then :D :D :D

I think your problem might be that your getting plumbers out to fault find on a boiler and unless your qualified then your breaking the law opening up the combustion chamber on your boiler...pay the money ang get someone whos got a clue about boilers, especially yours as its one of the easiest boilers to fault find on,and without even looking at it a decent r.g.i would be able to tell u whats wrong with it.

You're breaking the law opening up the combustion chamber on your boiler.
Says who ? There is absolutely nothing in the installation and service manual to say I can't open the Combustion Chamber.

Pay the money ang get someone who's got a clue about boilers
Like a rip-off £350 to Potterton for something I am able now to fix myself, as I have in the past :)

And how the heck do you find a Plumber who knows about the Suprima 50. Like most of the "Service people" who come and fix things like Dishwashers, Washing Machines etc, many of them either don't have a clue what's wrong, or make out there's a lot more to repairing it just to notch up their profits :)

Sorry to hear about your Suprima problems Trev.

Just to clarify. You've been working on your neighbour's Suprima?

Are you Gas Safe Registered?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back