Sure Stop....y or n ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace my stop cock as i'm fitting a new kitchen and was considering the Sure Stop.

I believe initially, Sure Stop themselves suggested keeping a traditional stop cock also (makes a but of a mockery of the word *Sure* in my mind) but now, i believe they are saying that they can be the only method of shutting off the water

So what's the general feeling.....
Are they reliable or still a bit of a fad and thus, best to be safe and stay traditional ?

Sponsored Links
It is a useful invention.

If you're elderly with arthritic hands and a stop tap in an awkward place, go for it. If none of these apply, save your money and fit a standard stop tap.

We fitted one on the pipe leading to the outside tap after it froze/cracked one winter, so we could isolate the tap in winter.

Had a leak from the SureStop a year later.

It's a useful invention but I wouldn't rely soley on it. Fit a conventional stop cock, and then add the SureStop in the line behind that as an easier-to-access/use means to cutt off the supply.

Tht way, any issue, you can still fall back on the stopcock.

Sponsored Links
If you're elderly with arthritic hands

then a lever valve is fairly easy to grip and use. You may be able to hook several fingers round it, or push it with your palm.

ae235

I don't know if you can get them with extra-big levers, as often found on gas valves.

I've also used the T-handle ones, but they are not so easy to operate with your fingers

As an interim step you can get a stopcock key that fits over a T-handle, and hang it within easy reach (there is also a much bigger version, useful if you have a stopcock in a pit)
ae235

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back