surface mount shower to plasterboard wall - fixings???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I need to install a shower on an external wall which is plasterboard dot and dabbed on to blockwork. as you'd expect, there's a 1" ish gap between the PB and the blockwork. The wall is finished with tiles, and i'm not going to take the tiles down until I redo the bathroom entirely in a couple of years.
In the short term, i'm mounting it with exposed pipework with some proprietary chromed elbows, but i'm slightly worried about the robustness of the fixings.
I'd like to drill and fix into the blockwork, but then i'm worried about damaging the tiles/plasterboard by overtightening the fixings, and essentially drawing the plasterboard towards the blockwork.
is there a trick of the trade for this?
All I can think of is to try and put some expanding foam (or ideally something that sets more solid) into the fixing holes in an effort to fill between the PB and the blockwork immediately behind the fixing points so that I can tighten them up nicely without worrying about the damage I describe above.
Has anyone any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
ideally you would fix it through some of the dot n dab that is behind the gyproc, if there's some in the position you wish to fix the shower. if you tap the wall the sound should change when you're at a piece of that, from hollow sounding to solid.
Apart from that there's nothing I've come across that would fill the void injected through the fixing holes. What kind of shower are you installing? You could use gravity toggles or butterfly bolts to fix?

you can get 25mm hollow wall anchors, if the void is slightly smaller, drill through and it to block work, to allow the anchor to be placed in to void. You can also cut the screw down if required, using junior hacksaw. As the wall is tiled the plasterboard grip will need filing down, so it fits flush.
Also buttterfy and toggle fixing can deal with this.
If you decided fix through to wall, then you could squeeze some gripfill in to void to help support the board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back