Can I "dot & dab" a tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to fix a shower fitting leak which involved removing a tile and the plasterboard it was bonded to. The plasterboard has been dot and dabbed to the blockwork wall behind.

Do I need to replace the plasterboard and then tile to it or can I install the tile directly to the blockwork with thick adhesive blobs? I know its a cowboy question but just need a quick fix that will last.

IMG-20220127-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20220127-WA0012.jpg

Sponsored Links
either. In that instance most would bond the tile direct to the block. keep the adhesive away from the pipe and fitting in case it needs to come back off.

You can but the void behind creates weak points. In reality it is only an issue if you screw through the tile and over tighten the screw.

I would recommend that you apply SBR to the block work though as a primer, and use a cement based (power) adhesive rather than the stuff in tubs.

Sponsored Links
Those blocks need a board of some sort over.
Proper backing board will be best but plasterboard will be fine.
Set some screws in first to act as packers so board sits at corret height before sticking. I just make hole with screwdriver and push in plug as blocks are so soft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back