Surface water connection to sewer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi good afternoon I’m after a little advice please I’ve got a front garden which is built on clay soil 1970 ex council house. Next door has the drain for roof water in there garden so I’m left with no where to drain my water fall from footpath is towards the house I have an alleyway at side of house with a combined manhole down the bottom of alleyway in the back garden I’m wondering if I can just run a pipe with bottle gully straight into this manhole as water will not drain through clay soil and a soak away is not possible thanks

Sponsored Links
When you say "will not" drain through the soil, do you actually know this or just guessing.

Where has all the water from your whole street been going all these years? The rain on the grass, the daffodils?

But the answer to your question it's no. Well not lawfully anyway.

The rain from the street goes into the gullies on the road and the rest from peoples drives looking at the makeup of the ground run to the house then down the alleyway into the drains in back garden. I’m not guessing the water doesn’t drain as the ground in clay for a good 800mm as I installed new water feed and hand dug it out the trench is still open approx 300mm from the surface hence the water sitting in the trench and not soaking away. Worried about it sitting up agains house incase it causes any damage thanks

Sponsored Links
It’s not going anywhere to be honest mate literally water logged the garden and now sitting in the trench that’s the problem I’m facing

I would suggest you do a Percolation test first, to ensure a soakaway is not a viable option.

If you are paving over the front then Planning Permission is required, otherwise I would speak to Building Control before doing anymore, get their take on it. If there is no other suitable method for disposal of rainwater, drainage to a combined sewer is usually permitted as a last resort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back