Surface water drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an issue with flooding, the surface water from all of the street I live in drains in to brook behind my house, the pipe from the surface water drain in the street runs from a manhole outside my house to the brook, when it is full or above the level of the pipe it flows backwards, this then comes back up on my surface water drain on my drive, this then floods my drive garden and spills over my utility door which is lower than my main house level. This has been going on for 3.5yrs and the council and water company have been arguing about responsibility the whole time. I have just come up with the idea to avoid my problem by putting a bung in my surface water pipe, but not sure if I am allowed, I am responsible for the pipe from my house to the manhole so assume I can do what I like with my pipe

Sponsored Links
Well it would be an awful shame if by brook, say a kids toy, say a ball, got wedged in there last time it flooded. Or teenagers did it out of mischief.
Obviously you know nothing about it

And when you block your pipe, where does the water that would have gone down this pipe go?

Maybe you could fit a non return valve.

and you can get retro fit ones

Sponsored Links
I would say, as this sewer takes the rainwater from your property, then it's arguably not just Highway runoff and so is the Water Co's responsibility. If you know (or can find out) if any other properties drain into it, this will bolster your case. I'd now be getting onto my Local Councillor's and MP.

Well it would be an awful shame if by brook, say a kids toy, say a ball, got wedged in there last time it flooded. Or teenagers did it out of mischief.
Obviously you know nothing about it
And then you wouldn't have to wait for the brook to flood before all the rainwater backed up the pipes and into your garden????

As Hugh says, if the drain is connected to more than one property, it is a public drain and the responsibility of the water authority.
You are correct that your own pipe is private and you can do what you like with it - as long as any drains falling within building regulations still function as a drain. The rule is you can't make it any worse than it was before.
If the water authority don't sort it out, go with Notch's advice and fit a non-return valve.

It's on my drive, my pipe goes straight in to the surface water drain, if I block the pipe all I will get is drain pipe water which will go in to a gully that goes in to the sewer outlet behind my house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back