Surge protection in study

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to install extra wall sockets in my study and would like to add surge protection for PCs etc without having to use extra plugs (PC directly into wall socket versus PC into surge protected extension cable into wall socket). If I add an RCD into the circuit will it perform the same function as an extension cable with surge protection ?

Sponsored Links
Just had a look around our PC desk...

Just got the PC plugged into a socket
And the monitor
And the speakers
And the router
And the printer
And the laptop base station
And the desk lamp
And the mobile charger....

I think I'll stick with using a protected 8 way board I've got fitted on the back of the desk running off a standard socket. At the moment all the leads are tucked out of the way, and only two plugs to pull (mains and phone/ADSL connection) to move the desk around if necessary.

As sm1thson said, an RCD is a very different animal to a surge protector.
The surge protector protects the equipment from over-voltage surges, whereas an RCD protects the equipment user against wiring faults/accidents.

Sponsored Links
HDRW said:
What's the "clean Earth" they talk about - it seems to cost a quid extra, and I'm intrigued as to what it consists of!
admitidly i dont know! im guessing that the socket is no different other than its green switch an lable on the top, and that this shows that it is connected to a clean earth on a circuit where only other clean earth things are present, i.e. its on a seperate earth circuit to things like communications devices that may iduce a signal on the earth. -but i made that up (sounded good to me) so its probably wrong can anyone confirm?

Just for information

Sockets with a "clean earth" - there are two separate earth terminals on the back of the socket, one is used for normal electrical earthing and links to the fixing screws, back box and any other metal parts. The "clean earth" terminal links to the main earth socket only which allows a separate "clean earth cable" to be run straight back to the MET. So the earth at the appliance is "clean" back to the MET.

Sockets with a "dual earth" - there are two separate earth terminals that are connected together within the socket and both connect to the main earth socket on the facia. Although the earth is classed as high integrity, the earth at the appliance in dirty because it uses the same path back to the MET as other earths.

a UPS will have a clean output. They use them in our stores to protect the tills and computers. Wired into 2 FCUs, one from the mains and one supplies all the UPS outlets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back