Surprima 50 Potterton 2nd PCB??? Is it worth it!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to one and all...

Firstly thank you in advance for any advice given...

We have one of Potterton Suprima 50,

Like so many we have had problems. It’s aprox 18 years old.

Problem 1, was the normal having to reset, keeps cutting out etc.

We changed the pcb board aprox 8 years ago, with a refurbished one from eBay. It sorted the problem.

Today similar problems have arisen aghhhhhh.

This time the heating and water start up fine, then when the boiler pauses after 10 mins or so, and it try’s to reignite the boiler makes a clicking / clunking noise, like switch is trying to engage. I turn it off. When switch it back on the red light is flashing. I wait a while, turn it off again and it’s ok.

I’m happy to change the board again...but is it worth it, will it sort the problem.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends what the rest of the boilers like but if ok then chucking another £80 recon board at it would be my choice.

If it's the original version for another original then yes.

If it's to the newer version then, only if you know you're 26.9 checks.

If you have the newer version, you can just change the box yourself.

Sponsored Links
How do you tell?
I am asking because mine has just gone and I have no heat or hot water.
It's a 2001 boiler that probably needs replaced but I'd risk a repair compared to replacing.
I also presume that boilers tend to cost more in the winter

Because of the supply and demand.
Not neccessarily boilers but boiler replacements.
Buying any service well in advance is cheaper than in a panic when the need is great?

The original older type boards are fitted direct to the boiler metalwork..there are 2 types based on the type of reset switch.
The later boards and contained within a plastic housing...they require extensive wiring re-work and are not a diy fitment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back