Surprise at symptoms due to earth loss!

She after some debate with my son is now saying it was not as bad of a shock to which she first said but new supply now in place so no problem.

The caravan is a large touring caravan but at the moment static in back garden some where for family to live while house is being finished.

Sponsored Links
Do I take it that you are fairly sure that it was not a static shock which she experienced?
Is it a static caravan? ;)
That clinches it, then :)

To be serious, on the basis of what eric has recently written, a static shock seems far from an impossible explanation. Most of the alternatives require at least two 'faults' - and, as far as I can make out, eric only identified one (the broken CPC in extension lead). As has already been suggested, a disconnected CPC which was (perhaps only intermittently) touching the L terminal of the plug or socket of the extension lead (on caravan side of CPC break) would be another possibility, but then the shock would have been more likely to take out the RCD.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
In the caravan was what my daughter-in-law thought was an isolator, but in fact only turned off the fridge, water heating and central heating. With this switch off she did not get a shock so I would assume there is some leakage with one of those items.

Since washing machine in house was off same fault supply and it was running when I arrived it could also be that having a second fault.

But as I said once I had stopped her getting a shock my work stopped. What is the point of having a son with a HNC in electrical engineering and then doing the work for him.

It's all in the Family my Dad was technical superintendent for a real power station i.e. it controlled all power. Electric, steam, air, and gas throughout the steel works. Father-in-law Electrical superintendent/clerk of works for hospital board. Even son-in-law took electrical engineering while in Turkey although today manages a large super market. I have lived with electric all my live and so has my son. Had ham licence at 14 years old. It's just what our family does.

In the caravan was what my daughter-in-law thought was an isolator, but in fact only turned off the fridge, water heating and central heating. With this switch off she did not get a shock so I would assume there is some leakage with one of those items.
She sounds brave (or foolish!) given that she thought that she had received a serious shock. Are you saying that she 'tried again' (to see if she got another serious shock) after switching off that isolator?
Since washing machine in house was off same fault supply and it was running when I arrived it could also be that having a second fault.
If (as I understand it) at that time the CPC connection between house and caravan was broken, I cannot really see how any fault in the house could have effected what happened at the caravan.

Kind Regards, John

The house permanent electrics consisted of a single 13A socket. Into that was a 4 way adaptor with one extension lead going upstairs and one down stairs the latter was the faulty lead. This then split one to kitchen and one to caravan so yes the washing machine was with caravan on the load side of the fault.

The girl is into most things. Trained as a Plumber then retrained as a bus driver then re-trained as a lock smith and now training as a nurse I would not put it past her to test the hard way if still getting a shock. She was after all at one time a Plumber. (Even if my son will not let her do house plumbing as when she does there is always a leak)

The house permanent electrics consisted of a single 13A socket. Into that was a 4 way adaptor with one extension lead going upstairs and one down stairs the latter was the faulty lead. This then split one to kitchen and one to caravan so yes the washing machine was with caravan on the load side of the fault.
I see :)

Presumably there must be some 'time sharing'? - washing machine, fridge, water heating and central heating (plus whatever else) all off one 13A socket might otherwise be a bit of a 'strain'!

Kind Regards, John

It is clearly work in progress there is a 50A MCB in old consumer unit feeding new consumer unit and as each circuit is completed it will be connected to a MCB and once all complete the DNO will be asked to change supply to new meter box which is outside so no need for meter reader to gain assess.

Also all walls stripped of plaster and boarded with insulating board the central heating all re-done kitchen moved so whole house a building site. However my son was finding it all a bit much so wanted his wife to join him at least she could clear up each day as he finished.

Hence family caravan (really mine) was put in the garden so she can live in it while all the work is going on. It is the second house he has done so he at least has some experience.

Personally I think going a bit OTT with LAN sockets at each radiator for example to control the TRV although now looks as if cheaper to go wireless and setting alarm auto reduces house temperature it makes this HIVE look rather primitive.

The hub in the loft looks like something seen in a large office complex a complete rack system he had to get his Cisco Systems cert to work out how to wire it well over my head.

Even a Wurlitzer Organ waiting to be installed at the moment at my mothers I am sure once complete it will be a real show house.

Personally I think going a bit OTT with LAN sockets at each radiator for example to control the TRV although now looks as if cheaper to go wireless and setting alarm auto reduces house temperature it makes this HIVE look rather primitive.
I have 8 core alarm flex to each radiator ready for when the heating controller is finished.

It is cheaper in the short time ( installation ) to "go wireless" but with more and more use of the frequencies the reliability of wireless is questionable.

I have 8 core alarm flex to each radiator ready for when the heating controller is finished.

It is cheaper in the short time ( installation ) to "go wireless" but with more and more use of the frequencies the reliability of wireless is questionable.
That echoes what my son has said. And he is not short of ways on switch so may as well. Even wired to shed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back