Surrey Flange Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am proposing to install a pump as the water flow in one bathroom is rather feeble.
It seems a Surrey Flange is the way to go.
If the pump goes in the loft with the hot tank and cold water header, no pipes will be left over to purge the hot water from the top of the hot tank.

My question is, why not just vent the bubbles to the header tank, rather than having to dedicate a tap to purge them?

Sponsored Links
After reading your post, please do not attempt installing the pump yourself and get a plumber.

lol, I thought the same but as a layperson thought I'd wait for someone in the know. Maybe he's talking about a whole house pump so there would be no non-flanged outlet at the top through which the collected bubbles would escape? obviously connecting this to the header tank is a NONO!

Sponsored Links
My query is WHY do you need to devote a tap for the bubbles, which is what I have read? Surely the bubbles would rise up the expansion pipe anyway?

I can't bring myself to watch that idiot.

But chances are he's got it wrong or you've misunderstood one of his stupid explanations.

The Internet has a lot to answer for.

My query is WHY do you need to devote a tap for the bubbles, which is what I have read? Surely the bubbles would rise up the expansion pipe anyway?

You say that you are installing a pump because flow to one bathroom is poor. Will the pump just supply this bathroom, or whole house?

And Jas from Plumber parts is a star!

The entire house.

Only one bathroom needs the pressure; however, from what I have found out, the pump needs to be close to the hot tank and cold header, which will pressurise the entire house.

Ideally, it would be good to just slot a pump in the bathroom that needs it.

In that case, Stuart Turner are the best. Followed by Salamander.

Both companies have some good literature on their websites.

Salamander's is probably clearer for the DIY'er.

You do not need any special taps for the surrey flange. Air in the cylinder vents up the expansion pipe as you said. The pump draws water through the dip tube and then pushes it to the outlets.

Any air in that part of the system is expelled under the force of the pump.

Matey boy from YouTube speaks faster than his brain operates mos tof the time. Sure he is a nice chap in person... but his videos are supremely annoying; and riddled with mistakes that professionals will ignore, but DIYers could get easily unstuck with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back