Surveys?

D

Deleted2797112

Hi all,
I've made an offer (£85k) subject to survey on an ex-local authority 2-bed semi, standard brick construction, no structural alterations/extensions, 1920s/30s vintage, on an estate of similar properties. These properties are selling pretty fast - I lost out on a couple because I just couldn't get there quickly enough to view so I'd be surprised if there is anything fundamentally unsound about them. In the house I've offered on there is a limited number of older-style power points in some rooms (although there is a current electrical safety cert as the property was tenanted) and I spotted a small damp stain (no sign of a current leak) on one ceiling underneath the chimney stack. I'm a cash buyer and had intended getting a Homebuyer Report done so booked one online. It was farmed out to a regional firm who have emailed to say they recommend a Buildings Survey, based as far as I can tell only on the age of the property and stating that a Homebuyer Report is really only suitable for 'modern' properties. I had read up on the differences between the various survey types and thought I'd reached a sensible decision based on the property age / condition / construction / price. Now I'm back to square one again wondering if I should upgrade. Is this par for the course with surveyor firms?

Sponsored Links
A Homebuyer report is essentially a check list, with little comment on the problems which an old property may experience.

It will generally recommend further tests and checks for anything noted as non-standard

Whether a full building survey is needed I don't know, but what you could do is tailor the survey to what you want or need. You instruct a survey to suit your requirements, not the surveyors

So for instance, you could ask for a check of key structural components, and for damp and rot. Or for what ever you like. This would mean that you don't end up paying for comments on plaster dents or old skirtings etc.

You can probably see if the windows need replacing, so perhaps no need to check those, you know the wiring will need updating so again leave that out. But you might not know if the ground floor is defective, or if a crack to a wall is significant or not.

So talk to a local firm, with experience of those properties and instruct a suitable survey to fit your needs and budget

What I tend to say to people is that I will have a quick look first, and if the property needs an in-depth report I will comment on the necessary things, otherwise I will do a basic survey of the main issues - and the final cost reflects this. You probably wont get this with a big practice though

Thanks woody - that's really helpful. I cancelled the booked survey - I didn't like the hard sell I was getting. I took your advice and found a local surveyor who knows the area and properties - he used to be the valuer for the LA for the right to buy scheme. Based on his prior knowledge of the properties in the street/estate, he doesn't think a Buildings Survey is necessary. I've done as you suggested and asked him to look at the key structural stuff. I feel happier knowing I can talk direct to the person doing the survey and, as his business is in the same small town, who is more likely to care about his reputation than someone bussed in just to do the survey.

Thanks again, this is scary stuff so it's really helpful to get a different perspective!

Sponsored Links
In general Council houses were well built. The Clerk of the Works was always much stricter on sites I worked on in the past than in the private sector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back