Home Buyers Survey or Full Structural?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We've had an offer accepted on a house that needs complete modernisation. We are cash buyers so we're organizing our own survey. Ordinarily, I'd go for the standard homebuyers survey but there's a couple of things that worry me about the property and I'm unsure how to proceed.

On the upstairs landing, there's a crack that starts half way of the wall and goes across the ceiling to the other wall. Also, there appears to be a damp problem in the corner of the living room. My question is, is it wise to pay approx twice as much for a full structural survey or will a homebuyers survey flag up and give me more details on these issues? I've made contact with a couple of local surveyors and conveyed my concerns, one of them says a homebuyers is ample whereas the other advises me to get the full structural.... Any advice?

Sponsored Links
A homebuyers survey will not be worth the paper its written on and will probably only suggest a structural survey be carried out anyway. You may not even need a survey, re-post in the Building Sections and ask your questions in there.

Sponsored Links
Get a structural engineer to look at the crack if it worries you. How old is the house and are the walls at all bulgy? Is the crack present on both inside and outside?

There is probably a simple explanation for the damp - internal plumbing leak or water ingress from outside (gutter/downpipe/flashing etc)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back