Suspect miswired light fitting...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the spare bedroom redecorated during which the light fitting was removed. When it went back up it worked OK for a minute or so, then went dim for a few seconds, and then the MCB tripped. The switched live may have been wrongly connected to neutral in the fitting (which had another N wire in the same connector) and either the incoming or outgoing N may have been on the 'live' side of the light. It was rewired and now works.

I was confused as to why it worked then failed so decided to do a check on the cct from the fuse box. With LNE all disconnected I am seeing a couple of hundred Ohms between L and N on my cheap DVM with both wires above 1Megohm to E. All light switches were off but there is a bathroom fan after the fitting with neutral plus permanent and switched live still in cct. Switching one low-wattage light on dropped it to 40 Ohms. Is it my meter reading weird things, seeing the fan, or could there be a fault? Anything else I should test or look at?

Sponsored Links
I assume you are doing a continuity test.
If you have have circuit conductors out at the consumer unit.
I would first check the neutral conductor of circuit to neutral busbar to eliminate a shared/borrowed neutral.
I assume there was no fault before you disconnected the original fitting prior to decoration.
I would now test to identify which conductors are Live, Switch line and neutrals.
Do not assume that it was wired originally with the colour cores being that of a standard set up. And generally DIYers see colours associated to that of a neutral conductor, that are often the switch line.

Thanks for the advice. It turned out to be a transformer primary I was reading the DC resistance across. I dug out my trusty old AVO8 and the cct was only drawing 20ma although I was reading quite a low resistance with the DVM... You learn something new every day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back