Wiring new light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed a light fitting and thought it'd just be a case of matching colours up, but on closer inspection something seems odd to me. The labelled L and N wired are from the old fitting that were attached to a transformer so I cut them. But from what I can see the one labelled N is attached to the switched live and the one labelled L is attached to neutral. I currently have the switch away from the wall as I'm doing some decorating so quite certain the black wire is switched live.

From my understanding of ceiling roses, I'll need to put the brown wire from my new fitting to the switched live, and the blue to the neutral, the opposite to how it was wired before?

Attachments

• IMG_20240127_091046723.jpg
    IMG_20240127_091046723.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
Lights don't really care which way round they are wired. And can we see some cables, brown probably, wrapped in tape just behind the bracket?
The connections really should be in an enclosure.

Ok so wired either way doesn't matter, the light'll still work? Just trying to get my head around how the other one worked, and yeah the more DIY I do on this house the more cheap work and botches I find, I'll unwrap those and stick them in a wago.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Lights don't really care which way round they are wired. And can we see some cables, brown probably, wrapped in tape just behind the bracket?
The connections really should be in an enclosure.
Polarity can be important from a safety perspective depending on the lampholder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back