Advice re wiring a ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I would appreciate your advice on this issue which is probably quite simple. I've looked at the wiring diagrams here and read forums but with my inexperience I'm not clear how to transfer that info to my setup.

I'm trying to change the ceiling light fittings on the two lights in the hallway. The new light fittings are the same. These two lights are controlled by a switch in the hallway, both lights on the same switch. They are also both controlled by a single switch at the top of the stairs on the landing.

One of the lights has a neutral, live and earth which I'm happy to wire into the new fitting. The other light however has two sheathed cables emerging from the ceiling, one of these contains a neutral, live and earth. The second one is just a blue coated cable. My new light fitting has a connection block with 4 points, 3 are labelled for N, earth and L and one isnt labelled but the instructions states it is for "loop termination if necessary".

My question is where to wire this additional blue coated cable in the new light fitting. If anyone could also explain to me what its for as well for future reference that'd be appreciated. I'd assumed it was part of a loop.

I have attached photos of the two ceiling roses in the hallway as they are currently wired and the new light fitting.

Many thanks for your help

Thom

Attachments

• current fitting no 1 extra wire.jpg
    current fitting no 1 extra wire.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 278
  • current fitting no 2.jpg
    current fitting no 2.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 251
  • new fitting.jpg
    new fitting.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 248
Sponsored Links
Its a neutral. Just connect it with the other blue cable to that light. So you will have two blue wires in the N connection on your light number 1.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for your replies.

@EFLImpudence I suppose my main issue was that the old ceiling rose (and the example picture you posted) has 3 seperate 'ports' for neutral wires and 2 for live wires whereas the new fitting just has a single 'port' for each. Given I seem to have an extra neutral cable I wasnt sure where that would go but @Taylortwocities response suggests that the two blue coated cables can be put into the same neutral port on the new fitting. Have I interpreted this correctly?

Thanks again

Many fittings are made for a wide international market. In most of those the wiring going to a light fitting is just two wires plus an earth

Here in the UK, of course, we do things in a very different way and the standard number of wires coming to the standard lighting rose is NINE!
A lot of problems raised on this and other forums is because of this failure to understand how to turn nine wires into three.

two blue coated cables can be put into the same neutral port on the new fitting. Have I interpreted this correctly?
Yes that’s what I said. How can you not have understood what I thought was clear guidance.

has 3 seperate 'ports' for neutral wires and 2 for live wires whereas the new fitting just has a single 'port' for each.
The ceiling rose neutral terminal is a block of brass with 3 holes drilled in it.
The new light neutral terminal is a block of brass with one hole drilled in it.
Both are encased in plastic, both are electrically identical.

The ceiling rose neutral terminal is a block of brass with 3 holes drilled in it.
The new light neutral terminal is a block of brass with one hole drilled in it.
Both are encased in plastic, both are electrically identical.

Thanks @flameport that has cleared things up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back