Suspected woodworm issue!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Ive noticed a crackling sound coming from the wood panelling behind the fridge in a really awkward spot. Ive been doing some googling - and there seems to be some disagreement as to whether woodworm causes a sound or not. Someone has mentioned it could be death watch beetle. What do you think?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The average UK furniture beetle goes about its business very quietly, but there are horror stories of various insects emerging from imported timbers.....I'd want to investigate this, personally but its unlikely to be an infestation.
John :)

A number of wood boring insects are quite noisy but not native to the uk, do you know the timbers origin.
The heat given off at the rear of a fridge causing movement in the timber could also explain the noise.

Sponsored Links
Youre not going to believe this: I moved out the fridge from the alcove... and the crackling sound started... and noticed the the sound (which sounds just like the sound file posted above) is coming from the back of the fridge!!! What could possibly be causing that!? Ive never noticed that sound before the other day. Im very relieved its not insects, but feel slightly foolish. :oops:

It's the liquid circulating through the pipes on the back of the fridge.

Time to heave a sigh of relief, but maybe factor in a new fridge sometime soon :D

Phew indeed! :D
Its taught me a lesson in woodworm though. My dad always mentioned it, but I thought "how much harm can a little worm really do?". But after reading up about it Ive realised how important it is to protect against woodworm.
I have some cuprinol. Do you think I should just cover every non-varnished bit of wood with it? In the kitchen I have one exposed tongue and groove wall (I dont know what kind of wood it is). Ill also give the kitchen table a second coat.

ps
Ill be annoyed if I have to buy a new fridge - I bought it brand new 3 years ago.

I think I would rather take my chances with woodworm than eat my dinner off a table soaked in Cuprinol :(

Don't worry too much, by and large its timber in lofts and under floor that is most prone, they do quite like ply for some reason, maybe they view it as a giant wood sandwich :D

Just keep a look out for holes in particular ones that have wood powder coming from them which means the blighters are active and may be flying around looking for somewhere to lay eggs.

Old holes with no powder mean they are long gone.

Thanks footprints. Im just really concerned because the kitchen table I bought last year is riddled with woodworm holes, and when I move it it leaves lots of sawdust by the feet (one foot in particular). I gave the whole thing a coat of cuprinol last week, but worried that I may have been too late.

I had a quick look online for possible costs of getting a pest killer in, and it will be around £500 - £1k to do the house! :eek:

Suffice to say lesson learnt on woodworm!

The motor sits on rubber mounts to stop vibrations, you could have worn mounts allowing it to vibrate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back