Suspended Floor Air Duct (Vent) through Concrete floor I'm relaying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm about to dig out my solid kitchen floor which has an air duct/pipe going under it and comes out on the external kitchen wall. This is because there is some suspended flooring in the property, and there is also the same duct/airbrick at the front of the property. I've dug out a small core and can see it looks like some sort of cast pipe under the DPM that connects somehow to the external airbrick.

Now I was going to dig out the floor to around 40cm on Saturday, but I'm just wondering how I can deal with this pipe/duct before I redo the floor. At the moment it's under the DPM sunk into the hardcore layer. I'm assuming it would need to be the same again when relaying, so I was thinking of perhaps using the plastic telescopic type to bring it down on the internal wall and up again on the external wall, with the main connecting pipe placed into the hardcore layer before the sand/dpm goes down. Is that going to be feasible, i.e. the telescipic part sitting on the inside of both internal wall and external, or do they need to be recessed? Obviously I want to do it properly to maintain correct airflow and prevent future issues but I've not dealt with something like this previously.

I've seen the following which is pretty much what I was trying to describe

Sponsored Links
How come you need to move the duct at all? Why are you digging the floor up? Changing the finished level?

How come you need to move the duct at all? Why are you digging the floor up? Changing the finished level?
So I'm retrofitting insulation throughout and also putting in wet underfloor heating. In addition I've taken some internal walls out to make a larger kitchen which were at different finished floor levels so needs to be sorted and wanted to max the benefits of ufh with insulation as an overlay would be poor performing and door height would be an issue in this property. It might be the duct can stay depending what it is and how it's supported but I'll need to redo layer of Mot1, sand, dpm, concrete, insulation and screed. I believe the air duct should ideally be under the DPM, but perhaps it could go through the insulation layer maybe

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back